Duchess Meghan was a scene stealer in stunning looks on Nigerian trip

NIGERIA-BRITAIN-ROYALS-INVICTUS-GAMES
NIGERIA-BRITAIN-ROYALS-INVICTUS-GAMES / KOLA SULAIMON/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

When it comes to making a statement with fashion, Duchess Meghan has been an icon for years. And as the Duchess of Sussex, her status as a fashion icon continues to flourish, with looks that are truly scene stealing.

During their recent trip to Nigeria, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex found themselves on a worldwind tour of events in the country, and yet the duchess did so in style. No matter what the event, she was dressed to perfection. And some of these looks are truly iconic.

Personally, I have loved seeing the pops of color in Duchess Meghan's wardrobe, as it just showcases her ability to wear anything and make it look good. And I admit that I also really appreciated the fact that in at least two of the looks, she was representing Nigerian designers.

While there were a surprising number of looks for such a short trip, we love it because it gave us so much to look at and enjoy when it comes to the duchess' fashion moments. But with so many looks to choose from, we needed to round up our favorites.

5 of our favorite looks from Duchess Meghan's trip to Nigeria

NIGERIA-BRITAIN-ROYALS-INVICTUS-GAMES
NIGERIA-BRITAIN-ROYALS-INVICTUS-GAMES / KOLA SULAIMON/GettyImages

For their visit to the Lago Polo Club, the Duchess of Sussex wore a Johanna Ortiz halter style maxi dress called Summer Count. While it was a more neutral piece in shades of beige and white, it was also elegant and perfectly styled for a polo game.

The duchess paired the Johanna Ortiz dress with sunglasses from Heidi Merrick, sandals from the Burberry Prorsum line, and beaded earrings featuring coral and gold. Honestly, the whole look was lowkey but glamorous.

NIGERIA-BRITAIN-ROYALS-INVICTUS-GAMES
NIGERIA-BRITAIN-ROYALS-INVICTUS-GAMES / KOLA SULAIMON/GettyImages

For their visit to the State Governor House to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos for a reception, Duchess Meghan stepped out in a dress that we have absolutely seen before. Fans of the duchess may recognize the silk Carolina Herrera column gown that she wore as the same one she had on in her 2021 pregnancy announcement for Lilibet.

According to the What Meghan Wore blog, the duchess paired the gorgeous gown with her classic Aquazzura sandals in nude. And she also added her "Aurate collar necklace" in gold, as well as gold hammered disc earrings. Overall, this was another classic look, that was simple and elegant, but added that pop of color we love to see on the duchess.

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle visit Nigeria as part of Invictus Games Anniversary celebrations
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle visit Nigeria as part of Invictus Games Anniversary celebrations / Anadolu/GettyImages

Considering this trip to Nigeria for the Duke and Duchess of Sussex was related to the Invictus Games, it makes sense that there were a number of sporting events that the couple visited, watched, or even took part in. And during the sitting volleyball game, the duchess wore another Johanna Ortiz dress that was simply stunning. The dress was perfect for the more lowkey nature of the game, while also still being elevated.

And of course, the accessories helped to complete the look, with Duchess Meghan pairing the drss with a pair of Emme Parsons flat sandals, her Heidi Merrick sunglasses, and the gold hammered disc earrings she wore with the Carolina Herrera dress. She also had her hair pulled back into a sleek ponytail, which helped to keep the duchess from looking overdressed for a volleyball game.

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Mo Abudu
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Visit Nigeria - Day 2 / Andrew Esiebo/GettyImages

On the second day of the Nigerian trip, Duchess Meghan took part in a Women in Leadership panel. During that panel, she joked about needing to add more color so that she fit in with the people of Nigeria. This joke came as the duchess wore a stunning red dress from an upcoming fashion designer from Nigeria.

The red dress featured a ruffle hem and thin, spaghetti straps, and was designed by Orire. And she paired the dress with her classic Aquazzura sandals in nude. The duchess also kept her jewelry simple with this look, wearing more lowkey earrings, as well as a simple and elegant necklace by Logan Hollowell.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, Oghogho Gwabin Musa
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Visit Nigeria - Day 1 / Andrew Esiebo/GettyImages

While this may be a white suit, Duchess Meghan brings a sense of elegance to the simplicity. The fact that this suit fits perfectly, is a reminder that having clothes that fit you well can add to the overall perfection of a piece. In this case, the look is courtesy of Aquazzura, with both the pants and the jacket coming from the brand.

For the shoes, What Meghan Wore pointed to them potentially being her Manolo Blahnik pumps in cognac. She also wore the Aurate collar necklace that she paired with her yellow gown. It was a simple, but well put together look. And it is perfect for those ladies heading into an office this summer.

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, Meghan, Duchess of Sussex
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Visit Nigeria - Day 3 / Andrew Esiebo/GettyImages

Honestly, there were even more amazing looks from this trip, including the above button down with striped wrap skirt. Now we just have to see if the "Meghan Markle effect" comes into play following this trip to Nigeria. And if you didn't know, the Meghan Markle effect is the term used for clothing selling out after the duchess wears it.

What did you think of Duchess Meghan's looks for their trip to Nigeria? What was your favorite look from the duchess?

Duchess Meghan jokes with Nigerian crowd about adding color to her wardrobe to fit in. dark. Next. Duchess Meghan jokes with Nigerian crowd about adding color to her wardrobe to fit in