Duchess Meghan jokes with Nigerian crowd about adding color to her wardrobe to fit in

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Visit Nigeria - Day 2
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Visit Nigeria - Day 2 / Andrew Esiebo/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

On Day 2 of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's visit to Nigeria, Duchess Meghan took part in a Women in Leadership panel. Walking to the stage, fans of the duchess could easily see that she had traded in the beige and white that she wore on her first day for a stunning pop of color thanks to her red Orire dress. (Orire is a Nigerian designer, which makes it all the more fitting.)

As she was introduced to the crowd, Duchess Meghan started off by thanking everyone for their warm welcome, as well as talking about how "flattered and honored and inspired" she has been in just the first 24 hours of her visit to Nigeria. She then went on to both joke about her wardrobe's color palette and compliment the people of Nigeria for their fashion.

"It has been a whirlwind 24 hours since we arrived, and I very quickly got the memo than I need to wear more color so I can fit in with all of you in your incredible fashion."

Meghan, The Duchess of Sussex

Duchess Meghan opens up about learning of her Nigerian heritage

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex Visit Nigeria - Day 2 / Andrew Esiebo/GettyImages

According to Harper's Bazaar, after talking about needing to wear more clothes with color, she also opened up about what it was like to learn about her Nigerian heritage. And she explained that when she found out, she immediately called her mother to see if she had any idea about their African roots.

The moderator for the panel, Mo Abudu, joked that Duchess Meghan needed a Nigerian name from the crowd. While this was just the start of the panel and the discussion, it was one clearly filled with a sense of ease and welcomeness that we love to see. And of course, the fact that the duchess opened up about the importance of representation and people seeing themselves represented in a more public way, was both impactful and insightful.

Duchess Meghan represented herself well on this panel and reminded people that she knows how to connect with a crowd. She understands that sometimes you need to make a joke about yourself or just remind people that you are personable in order to make them feel comfortable.

We are loving this Nigerian visit with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and we appreciate how welcoming the country has been, while also getting to see the couple do what they do best...And that is shine.

Next. Who are the current working royals?. Who are the current working royals?. dark