Can King Charles vote in the upcoming General Election?

Sir Chips Keswick Memorial Service
Sir Chips Keswick Memorial Service / Max Mumby/Indigo/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

On July 4, there will be a General Election held in the UK. This election will see new Members of Parliament elected to the House of Commons. And whichever political party, either Labor or Conservative, is voted in will see their leader taking on the role of Prime Minister.

With the General Election being such a big deal, it makes sense that members of the royal family have actually stepped back from public appearances that might show a preference to one party over the other. And while there are still some engagements taking place, for the most part Buckingham Palace has stated that we will not see members of the royal family taking part in many of their planned engagements until after the July 4 election.

Although King Charles may have stepped back from a number of public events because of the General Election, that doesn't mean we aren't curious about whether or not he gets to vote for the next political party that will lead the House of Commons. And it turns out that while it may not be against the law for the monarch to vote, it is not something that is done.

Here's why King Charles will not be voting during the General Election

According to US Weekly, the website for the parliament explains that while, "not prohibited by law, it is considered unconstitutional for the monarch to vote in an election." And this does make sense, as it would show favoritism to the political party he chose to vote for if he did.

The royal family generally avoids talking politics, especially in public. And in the past, Buckingham Palace has even stepped in when the media indicated that Queen Elizabeth II had made a political statement, even a vague one. At the time, the palace explained that, "the monarch is above politics and those in political office have a duty to ensure that this remains the case."

We understand the need for impartiality from the monarch, so it makes perfect sense that King Charles will not be voting in the General Election. And we appreciate the fact that both the palace and parliament has made it clear that the monarch is staying out of the election and politics in general.

Did you know that it is not actually against the law for the king to vote?

Reports indicate Princess Catherine has been seen in public, but there don't seem to be any images of it. Reports indicate Princess Catherine has been seen in public, but there don't seem to be any images of it. dark. Next