Should You try It: The Franchise on HBO

New series goes behind the scenes of a major motion picture
The Franchise on HBO
The Franchise on HBO /
facebooktwitterreddit

We get all kinds of new shows during the year, including high-profile, high pedigree options on premium networks. But are these new shows worth the investment of your time? That’s why this series exists, to provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision. Today, it’s a new satire from HBO.

Series: The Franchise

Where to Find It: New episodes air Sundays at 10 p.m. on HBO and stream on Max

What’s It About: We’re beset by franchise movies at the theater. Some of them are good, but some of them leave you scratching your head. Whether you like them or hate them, it’s undeniable the impact that these franchise films have made on culture and the entertainment industry. All of them now, too, are burdened by the weight of fan expectation and lofty financial goals. That’s something the creators of The Franchise understand.

This new satire comes from Jon Brown, and is executive produced by Armando Iannucci and Sam Mendes, who directed the pilot. Iannucci has created plenty of series like this, skewering different industries. Most notably, he delivered VEEP for HBO. This new series will likely draw comparisons, though it’s a different cast and premise.

For this series, we follow the cast and crew of a new superhero franchise picture that is having its own struggles. Our lead is Himesh Patel, who plays the production’s first Assistant Director Daniel. He’s been in the industry a while and struggles to keep his head down and the trains running. That means getting the new third Assistant Director (Lolly Adefope) up to speed, keeping the talent (Richard E. Grant and Billy Magnussen) happy, helping secure the Director’s (Daniel Bruhl) vision, and dealing with a new producer (Aya Cash). All of it creates plenty of headaches, challenges, and chaos for Daniel and those on set.

You Should Try It If: You’re a fan of off-beat comedies, like the cast here, or have previously enjoyed Iannucci series.

One Man’s Opinion of The Franchise

I have enjoyed Iannucci’s series in the past. Though this one was created by Brown, who wrote the pilot, it has the same pacing, feel, and style as other series. I was drawn to the topic here, too. We have a lot of big franchise films, and the set of one seems like perfect fodder for this kind of a satirical comedy. It doesn’t make for the most seamless transition from its Sunday night lead-in, The Penguin, but it’s solid and a bit of fun.

The cast is good here, too. I really enjoy Patel, who makes for a great lead. Cash and Grant are standouts among the rest, too. The idea works and the pilot helps to bring you into the world. The second episode felt a bit awkward at times, but I still like the basic premise and it flows at a nice pace, making for an easy half hour viewing.

This won’t be for everyone. It’s very dialogue and situation heavy, and some of it is very inside baseball for the entertainment industry. But for those who enjoy this type of series, this will be a fun ride.

Should You Try It: Agatha All Along. dark. Next. Should You Try It: Agatha All Along