"Wicked" gets character posters and a new way to pick sides in Oz with Monopoly

The upcoming movie musical will have its own Monopoly edition
95th Annual Academy Awards - Show
95th Annual Academy Awards - Show / Kevin Winter/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

"Our paths did cross"

As reported by the Today show website, we have new footage of "stars shining as beloved Broadway characters.” Cynthia Erivo is hailed with such comments as "what a talent" and "she's amazing" by the hosts. Of Ariana Grande's Galinda (renamed Glinda later in her career), one commentator voices what many of us are thinking: "I can't wait for this."

The principal protagonists are depicted in striking tableaux. Cynthia Erivo is far from the idyllic Emerald City, with her iconic broomstick in hand and flying monkeys filling her background. Meanwhile, Ariana Grande floats in on the bubble recognizable to any fans of The Wizard of Oz, even wearing a version of that Glinda's elaborate pink dress.

There are a number of other characters featured in the newly-released character posters. All of them play a smaller, but vital role in the plot of the musical.

Michelle Yeoh
Balenciaga: Outside - Paris Fashion Week - Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2024-2025 / Jacopo Raule/GettyImages

Michelle Yeoh channels her stately dramatic side as Madame Morrible. First introduced as the teacher who dismisses and underestimates the young Elphaba, she later becomes press secretary to the Wizard. In the opening of Act 2, she is directly responsible for the smear campaign against her former prize pupil and her poster her power unleashed with flashes of lightning and a sinister darkness within the spell she casts.

Jonathan Bailey
Fellow Travelers| SAG Screening Event in NY / Bryan Bedder/GettyImages

Jonathan Bailey plays Fiyero, who appears at his introduction as the useless party boy. His principal song, "Dancing through life," tells us that he thinks "life is fraught as when you're thoughtless" and boasts that "woes are fleeting; blows are glancing when you're dancing through life." He discovers not only his ability to care, but to take action as he befriends and becomes loyal to a pariah.

Marissa Bode is identified as Nessarose, Elphaba's younger sister. After Elphaba's "froggy, ferny cabbage" appearance at birth, their mother takes medicine that weakens her second daughter and Nessarose is unable to walk as a result. She still seeks higher education and a chance at a fulfilling life even though she is destined to be a nepo baby governor of Munchkinland.

Ethan Slater
"Spamalot" Opening Night / Bruce Glikas/GettyImages

Speaking of which, the next character poster is for Boq, played by Ethan Slater. A munchkin himself, Boq is redirected from a crush on Glinda to offer kindness and affection towards Nessarose ("that tragically beautiful girl--the one in the chair"). She is more enthusiastic about the relationship than he, but the good-hearted munchkin doesn't have it in his heart to break hers.

In one of his most acclaimed roles, Peter Dinklage said as Tyrion Lannister that, "I drink and I know things." The casting of him as Doctor Dillamond fits in quite well with that mindset. The goat professor at Shiz University is the one to raise awareness of animal oppression in Oz and lets Elphaba know that all over the place, sentient beasts like himself are being prohibited from any activity that shows that they are equal to humans.

Bowen Yang
Las Culturistas Culture Awards / John Nacion/GettyImages

Before Glinda has a connection to Elphaba she has two sycophants. Pfannee and Shenshen, played by Bowen Yang and Bronwyn James are those despicable hangers-on. They are the reason Glinda has the idea to give a "hideodeous" hat to the person she hates most, which then becomes Elphaba;s signature accessory, but we're glad when Glinda outgrows them.

Jeff Goldblum
"KAOS" Launches House Of KAOS In London / Dave Benett/GettyImages

The wonderful man behind the Wizomania is played by none other than Jeff Goldblum. This Wizard is the one who says that "Where I come from, people believe all sorts of things that aren't true. We call it history." He has no magic of his own and is threatened by those who will not use magic for his agenda. This casting is therefore brillian..

Do not pass the Emerald City, do not collect 200 Ozian Coins

Meanwhile you can take home some of the drama of Wicked with Monopoly in the style of the movie. Player tokens from Glinda's crown to the wizard's Green Elixir. Instead of owning Park Place or B&O Railroad, land on Madame Morrible's Quarters or the Wizomania Theater.

You can build Munchkin Homes or Emerald Castles on your properties and cards allow you to Defy Gravity or award you something that is Totally Ozmapolitan. It is available for Pre-order at $29.99.

There are only two and a half months until we can spend one short day in the Emerald City, but there is sure to be more excitement to come before then.

dark. Next. "The Wizard should be afraid...of me" says Cynthia Erivo in the second trailer for Wicked. "The Wizard should be afraid...of me" says Cynthia Erivo in the second trailer for Wicked