The Paralympic Opening Ceremony: What to expect

What we know and what has happened in the past.
Paralympic Flame Lighting Ceremony
Paralympic Flame Lighting Ceremony / John Phillips/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

If it crossed any sports fan's mind that the excitement in Paris is over, they haven't had a chance to read about the Paralympic Games to begin on August 28. The Games are about to kick off and the Opening Ceremony is a major feature of the excitement to come. Here are some clear expectations and some causes for speculation.

Old staples and bright flames

We already are following the path of the Paralympic torch from Stoke Mandeville, England to Paris. The previous Games were unique in that the torch relay had to be curtailed to avoid COVID-19 exposure, but the cauldron was lit. This will be a culminating moment in the ceremony.

Another traditional part will be the parade of nations. According to the Olympics website, the Opening Ceremony coming on August 28 will be "groundbreaking" for its setting. While the River Seine featured heavily earlier in the summer as the Olympics opened, the 184 delegations from around the world will be parading on the Champs-Elysees. In order to be accommodating the famous cobblestones are covered with a smoothing asphalt for the use of the Paralympians. It will be open to everyone, but the official parade will take place on the nearby Place de la Concorde.

The International Paralympic Committee, the French Paralympic and Sports Committee, and other authorities are aiming to "ensure that universal accessibility is incorporated into all aspects of the ceremony so that athletes, participants, and spectators can enjoy an experience that is free from any barriers." For this reason, they are not going to confine the Ceremony to a traditional stadium. Paris 2024 President Tony Estanguet had this to say on the matter:

"Looking beyond this exceptional setting offered for the leading athletes and spectators from around the world, this ceremony at the heart of the city is a strong symbol illustrating our ambition to capitalise on our country hosting its first-ever Paralympic Games to position the issue of inclusion for people with disabilities at the heart of our society."

Tony Estanguet

What else we know:

The athletes' first formal introduction and the lighting of the cauldron are essential to the night's festivities, but the cultural celebration is just as highly anticipated. Tokyo had the tale of the "Little One-Winged Plane" that encouraged movement in spite of headwinds and was a metaphor for overcoming obstacles. In London 2012, 100 professional performers took part in the Paralympics Opening Ceremony and of that number 73 were hearing impaired.

The theme will shape the ceremony. Tokyo summed it up with "Moving Forward: We Have Wings." Rio de Janeiro celebrated that "Everybody Has A Heart." The Associated Press released a photo of dancers using crutches during a rehearsal and it is confirmed that 20 of the dancers have disabilities themselves. Creative director Thomas Jolly, says that it will be "celebrating all types of bodies through the universal language of movement..Swedish director Alexander Ekman has crafted a rhythmic spectacle where dancers - using crutches, wheelchairs, or adapted tricycles will interact with pulsating beats." This tracks with a track of music by Victor Le Masne called "Sportography" that is a "blend of organic sports sounds and drum rhythm that captures the essence of athleticism.."

We eagerly await what will be on display on the streets of Paris come August 28.

Paralympian Daniel Bethell hopes to win gold after taking the para-badminton silver in Tokyo. dark. Next. Paralympian Daniel Bethell hopes to win gold after taking the para-badminton silver in Tokyo