The Choctaw Nation honors its ties to the people of Ireland

A new sculpture in Oklahoma pays tribute to Choctaw-Irish connection.
Choctaw Social Dancing: The Garfish Dance
Choctaw Social Dancing: The Garfish Dance / ChoctawNationOK
facebooktwitterreddit

It is wonderful to see history not only remembered by public figures, but honored, and a recent meeting in the state of Oklahoma was a moving reminder of that. The history of immigration to the United States of America is a long and complex matter, whether addressing the relationship of the settlers at Jamestown or considering asylum seekers in 2024. One indigenous population in Oklahoma has just unveiled a monument that honors the way their people have connected with the Irish who came to North America.

The history of kindred spirits

August 30 was a notable date in Tvshka Homma, Oklahoma. As reported on the Nation's website, at the Choctaw Capitol Grounds, members and leaders of Choctaw Nations gathered and welcomed dignitaries both from the State of Oklahoma and Ireland to the site of a new sculpture. It called to mind the visit in 1995 by Irish President Mary Robinson that "marked the beginning of a renewed commitment to the bond forged by the Choctaws' selfless act."

Ireland and the Choctaw have been linked by charity since the 19th century. It was in 1847 and in the wake of the forced relocation that is commonly called the "Trail of Tears" that the Choctaw Nation sent aid to the Irish. They raised the equivalent of $500 in support during the Great Famine. This donation was sent to County Cork and the people of Midleton erected a sculpture in memory of that generosity. The "Kindred Spirits" sculpture by Irish artist Alex Pentek stands there since 2017 as a "permanent reminder of the enduring connection between the Choctaw Nation and Ireland." In 2020, Ireland lent aid to Native American tribes during the COVID-19 pandemic.

"Eternal Heart"

Tvshka Homma is now the site of an eight-foot sculpture by Samuel Stitt, a Choctaw Nation tribal member. The installation, entitled "Eternal Heart," "combines a Celtic trinity shape intertwined with a heart and is specifically placed facing toward Ireland." The base's carved diamond shapes pay homage to a Choctaw "symbol of reverence regarding the diamondback snake." According to Stitt "There is no beginning or end to the overall piece-- thus, it is eternal." He also commented that "It is a great honor to have a hand in exemplifying the Choctaw-Irish connection through my art...The 'Eternal Heart' is an artistic interpretation of how the Irish people and Choctaw Nation will forever be connected by that human characteristic of compassion--one people for another."

Choctaw Nation Chief Gary Batton expressed his feelings on the long association:

"We are grateful for the giving hearts of our Choctaw ancestors that brought us here today. We are excited to see what this eternal bond will bring to future generations of Choctaw and Irish, and we are extremely proud to call the people of Ireland our friends and kindred spirits."

Chief Gary Batton

Irish Minister of State Thomas Byrne T.D. was in attendance at the ceremony as well. Byrne recalled the friendship as well, "which began with an act of solidarity and extraordinary generosity during the darkest years of the Great Famine."

Next. Prince Harry's schedule in New York City to include appearance honoring Mother's Memory. Prince Harry's schedule in New York City to include appearance honoring Mother's Memory. dark