Sophie Turner discusses how motherhood helped prepare her for the ITV drama "Joan"

The actress has hands-on training for her role as a young mother.
LVMH Prize Cocktail - Paris Fashion Week
LVMH Prize Cocktail - Paris Fashion Week / Pascal Le Segretain/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

The character of Joan Hannington has some unrelatable aspects, such as her criminal tendencies. The titular character of ITV's Joan is based on the real-life jewel thief Joan Hannington and Game of Thrones actress Sophie Turner is taking on the role.

"It just kind of flows out"

Like Joan, Sophie is a mother. Her daughters Willa (3) and Delphine (1) are from her now-ended marriage to musician Joe Jonas and her experience with her children helped tune her portrayal of Joan's relationship with her daughter Kelly. Asked about the preparation for the emotional scenes, Turner had this to say as reported by Hello! magazine:

"I'm a Pisces. I'm very emotional...I do listen to music and things like that, but I'm a mother, so anything to do with children, it just kind of flows out."

Sophie Turner

Kelly is more than a part of the story. According to Turner, the director ensured that Joan's daughter was on the mind of the lead actress. Even when she wasn't in the scene, "Richard [Laxton, director] would always come up to [Turner] almost every scene and go, 'And where's Kelly?' And so it was always a constant, constant reminder of this is why she's doing it."

The 28-year-old actress went on to say that "when you're doing a show like this, and it's heist-y and there's diamonds and glamour, you get swept away by it all and you have to remember that this is to provide a solid and stable life for her daughter so she can get her back."

According to the synopsis, "Through sharp intelligence, irresistible charm, and a talent for impersonation, Joan's journey is a high-stakes game of survival and reinvention. Every heist and every stolen diamond is driven by her singular purpose: to create a secure future for her daughter."

The series premiered on ITV and ITVX as of Sunday,, September 29. The second episode airs at 9 p.m. on Monday, September 30, 2024.

Ewan Mitchell's influences for Aemond Targaryen might not be what you think. dark. Next. Ewan Mitchell's influences for Aemond Targaryen might not be what you think