Should You Try It: The Veil on Hulu

Elisabeth Moss takes the lead in a limited series from Steven Knight
The Veil, FX on Hulu -- Pictured (L-R): Elisabeth Moss as Imogen Salter, Yumna Marwan as Adilah El Idrissi. CR: Christine Tamalet/FX
The Veil, FX on Hulu -- Pictured (L-R): Elisabeth Moss as Imogen Salter, Yumna Marwan as Adilah El Idrissi. CR: Christine Tamalet/FX /
facebooktwitterreddit

We live in an interesting time for limited series. We get many each year that offer the promise of a short commitment with a quick payoff. But even with a limited series, trying the wrong one can feel like a waste of your time. That’s why this series is here—to equip you with the information needed to know whether your next investment is worth it. Today, it’s a limited series with a strong pedigree on Hulu.

Series: The Veil

Where to Find It: The first two episodes are now available to stream on Hulu. The rest of the six-episode series drops each Tuesday on the streamer.

What’s It About: This new series is a spy tale with a strong cast and strong behind-the-scenes talent. It comes from writer Steven Knight, the creative force behind Peaky Blinders. The cast, among others, includes Elisabeth Moss, James Purefoy, and Josh Charles. And it’s a series that takes us around the world.

When first we drop in, a confident British woman who wants to be called Imogen (Moss) is at a meeting where it soon becomes clear she’s set up her target. As he’s being arrested, she’s on the phone for her next assignment—one that will take her to Istanbul. It seems there is world of a terrorist plot to be executed in the next seven to 10 days. The woman believed to be in command (Yumna Marwan) has turned up at a refugee camp.

Imogene arrives, posing as an aide worker, and makes contact. She works to make contact and offers her target a way out. It’s a clever ruse to spend the trip determining if she’s really the terrorist mastermind and what the plot might be.

Imogene is working with her French handler, Tomas (Philipp Christopher), while a CIA Agent (Charles) is also present in country pressuring the French team to turn over the target so they can get quick answers. Meanwhile, Imogene has ghosts of her own, which appear in dreams, that will likely come into play moving forward.

You Should Try It If: You’re a fan of twisty spy tales, a fan of the talented cast, or a fan of limited dramas.

One Man’s Opinion of The Veil

I enjoy a good limited series. To this point, Hulu has provided a few different dramas of this type over the first few months of 2024, including the great Shogun. The Veil slides into that vacated Tuesday slot and features a talented lead in Moss who has been great in other limited series and other series on Hulu.

Moss is a big draw and was a big part of the appeal here. So, too, is Knight, who is good at crafting engaging and dramatic stories. We get the pieces of that teased out over the first two episodes of The Veil released on Tuesday. The episodes are about 45 minutes, running at a good pace, and there’s enough going on to hook your attention.

I like the six-episode commitment, which feels about right for stories like this. The settings and performances were good and I’m excited to see where this one goes.

Next. Should You Try It: Shogun. Should You Try It: Shogun. dark