Should You Try It: The Completely Made-Up Adventures of Dick Turpin

New Apple TV+ comedy mines the fun out of the historical adventures of highwayman Dick Turpin.
"The Completely Made-Up Adventures Of Dick Turpin" Photocall
"The Completely Made-Up Adventures Of Dick Turpin" Photocall / Jeff Spicer/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

We’ve made it to March. We’re emerging from winter, but probably still have down time indoors on the weekends to check out new content. With so many new shows, it can be hard to know what to prioritize. Let this series be your guide! Today, I’m looking at a new comedy from Apple TV+.

Series: The Completely Made-Up Adventures of Dick Turpin

Where to Find It: The first two episodes stream on Apple TV+ on Friday, with subsequent episodes in the six-episode season streaming weekly.

What’s It About: Dick Turpin is a famous historical figure. He was a notorious highwayman that plied his trades in England in the 1700s. This series, though technically about him, isn’t that concerned with following the facts of history.

In this version, Noel Fielding is Turpin. We meet him as he’s about to be hanged, and yet he draws a crowd, telling his story of how he stumbled into leading a gang. Soon, he’s out and free, leading his gang again. But rather than a hardened criminal, he’s a bit of a goof ball, and his adventures are more than a little comical.

Not that he’s without a nemesis. In this case it’s Jonathan Wilde (Hugh Bonneville), who used to work with the gang but now is determined to bring Turpin down. That’s if he can manage to catch him!

You Should Try It If: You’re a fan of screwball comedies or are looking for something a little different to try.

One Man’s Opinion of The Completely Made-Up Adventures of Dick Turpin

Comedy is hard. It’s been hard at times for all the streaming services, including Apple TV+. You get a mix of shows that are hybrid comedy/dramas using the half hour format. You get edgy series in the comedy genre. You get more traditional shows that feel almost like sitcoms from another era. And sometimes you get these shows that have a different tone and feel.

That’s the case with Dick Turpin, which feels more like a British style comedy series. That’s not a bad thing. Fielding is having fun in the part, and this is certainly not a show that’s taking itself too seriously. I also enjoyed Bonneville playing something of a straight man in a wild and crazy world.

The pilot moved at a decent pace and was moderately engaging, but I actually chuckled a few times with the second episode. There are some word play sequences featuring Bonneville that got to me. If you’re looking for something a little lighter and with some comedy, this is worth checking out.

Next. Catch up with all your favorite Ghosts. Catch up with all your favorite Ghosts. dark