Should You Try It: My Lady Jane on Prime Video

The new Prime Video series puts a spin on history.
Emily Bader as Lady Jane Grey and Edward Bluemel as Guildford Dudley
Emily Bader as Lady Jane Grey and Edward Bluemel as Guildford Dudley /
facebooktwitterreddit

We’re in the summer and the flow of new shows has slowed to a trickle. You might also have some other things to occupy your time, meaning when a new show does pop up you wonder whether it’s worth your time to check out. Let this series be your guide as we dive deep into new shows to see if they’re right for you. Today, it’s a period piece with flair that is available on Prime Video.

Series: My Lady Jane

Where to Find It: All eight episodes are now available to stream on Prime Video.

What’s It About: This new series is based on the book from Jodi Meadows, Brodi Ashton, and Cynthia Hand. It also is based—in part—on history. Lady Jane Grey was a real historical figure who had an interesting role in history. She was the daughter of Henry VII, and when her cousin, King Edward VI passed away, she was briefly declared queen. It didn’t last—leading to her being dubbed the “Nine Days Queen” before she was imprisoned, convicted of treason, and executed.

While Lady Jane Grey is a historical figure, this series isn’t aiming for historical accuracy. It’s about entertainment and creating a more fun version of Jane, her world, and its history. That means creating a world where some of the population has the ability to transform into other creatures. Those who can’t transform—which is the majority—become weary of the magical people, outlawing them and creating a rift between the groups.

Into all that, King Edward VI (Jordan Peters) is trying to reign while battling illness. Turns out, it might not be an illness but an attempt on his life. Meanwhile, his good friend and cousin Jane (Emily Bader) is facing some trouble of her own. While she’d like to live a quiet and free life of the mind, her mother has pledged her to marry the son of a wealthy Lord. She tries to evade the match but doesn’t have enough agency in the world to make that work.

Soon, she learns her new husband (Edward Bluemel) is hiding a secret of his own. He makes Jane an offer—her freedom for her help. Can Jane help her husband, help save her cousin the King, and keep out of danger?

You Should Try It If: You’re a fan of historical fiction, a fan of comedy, and a fan of shows like Bridgerton.

One Man’s Opinion of My Lady Jane

We’ve gotten plenty of period pieces in recent years but few that have the style and flair of My Lady Jane. It’s not a serious and faithful take, nor does it have some of the over-the-top elements of Bridgerton. But it does have the same sense of humor and not taking itself too seriously. The episodes even include a narrator that helps provide some wry humor in addition to what we’re seeing play out on screen.

I wasn’t expecting much when I first put on the pilot, but I was instantly taken with Bader in the lead role. She creates a fun character that’s easy to root for and while I didn’t know much about the historical account prior to watching, I really enjoyed the ride for Lady Jane Grey. I also enjoy Peters as the King, especially as his storyline has some fun twists moving into episode two.

The episodes are crisp and move at a good pace. The story is engaging, building on the real world and adding some fantasy elements and humor. It was enough to be curious about where this is going, and with all eight episodes now available to stream it makes for a quick binge.

dark. Next. Should You Try It: Bodkin. Should You Try It: Bodkin