Should You Try It: Manhunt on Apple TV+

New Apple TV+ drama focuses on the hunt for a Presidential Assassin
Manhunt on Apple TV+
Manhunt on Apple TV+ /
facebooktwitterreddit

We’re steaming toward the weekend, with a number of places in the United States enduring a big storm, you might be looking for some indoor options. But with so many shows on the air, choosing the right one can be tricky. That’s what this series is here to help you figure out. Today, I’m looking at a new series from Apple TV+.

Series: Manhunt

Where to Find It: The first two episodes are available on Apple TV+ on March 15, with the rest of the seven-episode series dropping weekly.

What’s It About: The assassination of President Abraham Lincoln was a big turning point in America and in American politics. This new series, Manhunt, focuses on that event, what led up to it and the hunt for his assassin, John Wilkes Booth.

Tobias Menzies stars as Andrew Stanton, the Secretary of War, who is a close associate of Lincoln (Hamish Linklater) and the man tasked with leading the manhunt following his assassination. Through Stanton, we see the events leading up to that fateful night at Ford Theater, including the efforts to end the Civil War, which came just days before his assassination.

In addition, the series follows Booth (Anthony Boyle), and his plans in the days leading up to the assassination. It also follows Booth as he tries to evade capture. The seven-episode limited series captures the moment, the aftermath, and how it changed America forever.

You Should Try It If: You’re a fan of historical dramas, a fan of Menzies and Boyle, or just like an engaging limited series.

One Man’s Opinion of Manhunt

I am a big fan of historical dramas. I enjoyed the first two episodes of this series, which filled in some historical knowledge about this huge event in American history. The introduction of the characters and the iconic moments, mixed with the rest of the story, was a fascinating watch.

The episodes run about an hour, and with only seven episodes in the limited series it’s not a big or a long commitment. I do sometimes prefer the drop all at once model to the weekly pacing of Apple TV+, but this should provide an interesting watch for the next six weeks.

I liked Menzies in the lead role and that should appeal to those who were fans of him on Game of Thrones and Outlander. Boyle, who recently had a leading role in Masters of the Air, also does a nice job as Booth. This is an interesting story that’s worth checking out.

Should You Try It: Masters of the Air. Should You Try It: Masters of the Air. dark. Next