Should You Try It: Kaos on Netflix

New series brings the Greek Gods to Netflix
KAOS, Season 1. (L to R) Janet McTeer as Hera, Jeff Goldblum as Zeus in KAOS, Season 1. Cr. Courtesy of Netflix © 2024
KAOS, Season 1. (L to R) Janet McTeer as Hera, Jeff Goldblum as Zeus in KAOS, Season 1. Cr. Courtesy of Netflix © 2024 /
facebooktwitterreddit

As we enter Labor Day weekend, we head toward the last gasp of summer. You might be looking for a way to kick back and relax during this long holiday weekend. That could include diving into a new show. But how do you know if that new show is right for you? That’s the point of this series, as I dive into new shows and give you the information needed to decide whether it’s worth your time. Today, we’re looking at a series that brings the Gods to Netflix.

Series: Kaos

Where to Find It: All eight episodes are now streaming on Netflix.

What’s It About: This series comes from Charlie Covell (End of the F***ing World) and is set in the world of Gods. It focuses on Zeus (Jeff Goldblum) as he reigns in Mount Olympus with his wife, Hera (Janet McTeer). Things aren’t going all that well. His kids don’t visit, he’s at odds with his wife, and humanity doesn’t seem to treat him with the awe and wonder he’d like.

Then there’s the matter of a new prophecy that Zeus fears will be his undoing. When a wrinkle appears on his forehead, he’s convinced it’s a sign of bad things to come as the prophecy begins. As our guide through the world, Prometheus (Stephen Dillane) placates Zeus while letting us know the prophecy is very real, and its time draws near.

That puts the focus on a trio of humans who, now at the right place at the right time, have the opportunity to topple the Gods. But can they get it together and actually bring the prophecy to life, or will the reign of Zeus continue?

You Should Try It If: You have an interesting in mythology, you like sprawling comedies, or you’re a fan of shows like Good Omens.

One Man’s Opinion of Kaos

I like the title and I like the potential. When you tell me that you’re spinning a modern yarn that adapts the story of Greek Mythology, I’m interested. When you populate the world with a great cast like Goldblum, Dillane, and McTeer, among others, I’m even more engaged. I thought there was plenty of potential here, and it’s clear that Netflix splashed out the cash to give it a nice, polished look.

It wants to be the Netflix answer to Good Omens. It wants to be in that fantasy world and offer some sarcastic takes and adventures. The pieces are there but through the first couple episodes it wasn’t sharp enough to achieve those aims. It’s not a bad show but it wasn’t as engaging and compelling as I’d hoped.

Still, it’s only eight episodes, each about 45-50 minutes. That makes for a quick binge. The look and the feel work well, and this cast is worth your time. It might not reach its potential, but there are worse shows out there for a quick binge.

Should You Try It: A Good Girls Guide to Murder. Should You Try It: A Good Girls Guide to Murder. dark. Next