Should You Try It: Bodkin on Netflix

Will Forte heads to Ireland to make a Podcast
Bodkin. (L to R) Norma Sheahan as Dot, Will Forte as Gilbert Power in episode 103 of Bodkin. Cr. Enda Bowe/Netflix © 2024
Bodkin. (L to R) Norma Sheahan as Dot, Will Forte as Gilbert Power in episode 103 of Bodkin. Cr. Enda Bowe/Netflix © 2024 /
facebooktwitterreddit

We’re cruising toward summer, which means there are plenty of things to occupy your free time. There’s also new series. But which series are worth the investment. Let us help you as we break down new series to give you the information you need to make an informed decision. Today, it’s a Netflix series set in Ireland.

Series: Bodkin

Where to Find It: All seven episodes are now available to stream on Netflix.

What’s It About: This is a series built around an American (Will Forte) who has come to Ireland to discover his Irish roots and find the material needed for a new season of his show. Gilbert Power (Forte) has a podcast that was once successful. But after a few subpar seasons, he’s trying to regain some of that previous power. He thinks a story about some disappearances in this small Irish village could be just the ticket.

In order to get it done, he’s relying on his assistant, Emmy (Robin Cara). He’s also been assigned a local investigative journalist in Dove (Siobahn Cullen). The problem is Dove doesn’t really want to be on this assignment. Nor does she put a lot of stock in the local legends and rumors that seem to surface as soon as they arrive. But she doesn’t have a choice. Dove’s last big investigative piece has gotten her—and her paper—in some hot water. So, she’s been assigned this task as a way to lay low.

But laying low might not be all that possible. It seems this case, while seemingly simple, quickly becomes complex. The team meets resistance from the locals as things begin to spiral out of control. Can they get to the truth—and in the process make a good Podcast season?

You Should Try It If: You’re a fan of Will Forte, a fan of dark comedies, or looking for something unique to binge.

One Man’s Opinion of Bodkin

This series is the first scripted series from Higher Ground, the production company founded by Barak and Michelle Obama. That gives it a bit of extra intrigue. It’s also only seven episodes, mostly around 45 minutes, making it a quick binge for those that are looking for something different and easy to watch.

I enjoy Forte as a performer. This is a little something different here, but already some of the running quirks and gags in the first two episodes work. His character is gullible, gets sucked into some of the cultural heritage of Ireland, and can’t seem to get the audio he needs to make his show hum. I also enjoyed Cullen in the role as Dove. There’s an interesting set up here and I very much enjoyed the pilot episode.

The second episode was a bit slower, but also helped build some of the tension in the premise. Overall, this feels like a fun win for Netflix. We’ve seen U.K. series—like Baby Reindeer—hit with American audiences. This could be the next bingeworthy addition to the Netflix lineup.

Next. Should You Try It: 3 Body Problem. Should You Try It: 3 Body Problem. dark