Should We Try It: A Very Royal Scandal on Prime Video

New mini-series explores Prince Andrew's disastrous interview with the BBC
A Very Royal Scandal - Season 3 - Episode 302
A Very Royal Scandal - Season 3 - Episode 302 /
facebooktwitterreddit

There are some stories that just continue to fascinate us. Today’s deep dive into a new series is an exploration of a topic that continues to gather public attention. But is it worth your time to check out? Let’s dive in and see as we get a new Royal tale on Prime Video.

Series: A Very Royal Scandal

Where to Find It: All three episodes are now streaming on Prime Video

What’s It About: The history of Prince Andrew is long and not all that positive. This new series on Prime Video is an exploration of the interview Prince Andrew (Michael Sheen) gave to the BBC when he was in the midst of scandal thanks to his association with Jeffrey Epstein.

The Prince was a known associate of Epstein, who had been convicted of sex trafficking in 2008. Epstein continued to be dogged by charges and allegations, causing the Prince to be embroiled in controversy regarding their relationship and his alleged actions for more than a decade. In 2019, new reports and photos surfaced that put Prince Andrew back in the spotlight.

At the same time, BBC reporter Emily Maitlis (Ruth Wilson) was on the case. Facing some backlash of her own over her body language during an interview, Maitlis was looking to land a big, high-profile exclusive. Her team worked behind the scenes to convince Prince Andrew that going on the record was his best option.

Finally convincing him to do it, the interview took place at Buckingham Palace. His answers shocked the world and changed the trajectory of his life and career.

You Should Try It If: You’re a fan of dramas, a fan of mini-series, or interested in learning more about the scandals of the Royal Family.

One Man’s Opinion of A Very Royal Scandal

It’s been five years since this interview and things are much different for Prince Andrew. In fact, it was something of a question if he’d even be able to attend the funeral for his mother, The Queen. But the public’s fascination with this story—and all that went on behind the scenes—remains strong. So strong, in fact, we’ve gotten dueling projects about it in 2024.

The first was a Netflix film starring Gillian Anderson as Maitlis and Rufus Sewell as the prince. It was an interesting take on the story and moderately well received. This three-hour mini-series expands that story and has Maitlis herself acting as a producer. I liked the casting of Sheen and Wilson, who each sink into the roles.

I also like that this version expands the story, giving you a bit more set up, spending the middle part on the interview itself, then spending a whole episode on the aftermath. The performances are solid, and the story is engaging. It’s also something of a quick binge, especially for those that want to learn more.

Next. Should You Try It: Three Women. Should You Try It: Three Women. dark