Should I Try It: The Decameron on Netflix

New series takes a comedic look at the Black Plague
THE DECAMERON. Zosia Mamet as Pampinea in Episode 108 of The Decameron. Cr. Giulia Parmigiani/Netflix © 2023
THE DECAMERON. Zosia Mamet as Pampinea in Episode 108 of The Decameron. Cr. Giulia Parmigiani/Netflix © 2023 /
facebooktwitterreddit

We’re coming toward the end of July, a normally slow time for new shows. Additionally, with the Summer Olympics now in full swing we’ll see fewer new shows released to compete. But what about the new shows we are getting? Are they worth your time to check out? Today I’m looking at a new release on Netflix, giving you all the information, you need to decide if it’s right for you!

Series: The Decameron

Where to Find It: All eight episodes are now streaming on Netflix

What It’s About: This is a series set during the Black Plague. In fact, the pandemic plays a large role in driving the narrative of the series as well. We pick up the action in 1348 in Italy, where the plague is raging, and people are trying to survive. This series is based on the collection of short stories of the same name that was generated during that time period.

But this isn’t a somber or serious approach to the plague. Rather, it’s a comedy that’s meant to be a commentary on the time, on class differences, and on romance during the period. It comes from writer/creator Kathleen Jordan, who previously worked on American Princess and Teenage Bounty Hunter. This series finds a group of nobles and servants trying to ride out the plague in a country villa in Italy. Mayhem and romance ensue as they gather.

There are a number of focal characters. Pampinea (Zosia Mamet) has arrived with a large dowry to marry the Lord, but he might not be as alive as she’d hoped. Meanwhile a young Lord, Tindaro (Douggie McMeekin) is being kept under wraps by his minder, Dioneo (Amar Chadha-Patel), who wants to have position and glory for himself. Elsewhere, the spoiled daughter of a Lord, Filomena (Jessica Plummer), has made no friend of her handmaid, Licisca (Tanya Reynolds). When they quarrel and Filomena appears to pass, Licisca takes her place. When Filomena arrives unexpectedly, it sets off an interesting chain of events.

All these and more are forced to live together, trying to stay well and trying to make moves to improve their station while the world crumbles all around them.

You Should Try It If: You’re a fan of period pieces, a fan of quirky romances, and a fan of black comedies.

One Man’s Opinion of The Decameron

First, there are some good things here. I really like the creative and, at times, creepy opening sequence for this series. It’s an intriguing take that’s befitting a show that takes a different tone and a different look at this time period. Most don’t think of comedy when they think of the Black Plague, but here we are.

This show has a good cast, including Tony Hale and Karan Gill as well. It’s only eight episodes, each ranging from 48 minutes to an hour. So, it’s not a long commitment and makes for something of a quick binge if you’re so inclined. But, for me, these episodes could have stood to be tightened, at least with the early episodes I screened. As something of a comedy, it feels like a show more suited to half-hour episodes.

That’s not the only issue. The characters and story aren’t as compelling as I’d have liked. I enjoy the cast and I thought it was a creative take on the era and material, but I wasn’t drawn to the narrative. The first two episodes seemed to move at too slow a pace and didn’t create enough of a hook, despite the talented cast and the potential. But fans of the genre may have a stronger connection to finish the series out.

Should You Try It: My Lady Jane. dark. Next. Should You Try It: My Lady Jane