Should I Try It: Such Brave Girls

Looking for a slice of awkward family comedy as a distraction this holiday season? Hulu has you covered with the first season of Such Brave Girls
Hulu offering a new comedy series this holiday season.
Hulu offering a new comedy series this holiday season. / SOPA Images/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

We live in a big era for content. We have networks, streaming services, movies and more. It seems the only thing that hasn’t gotten bigger is our available time for viewing. That can leave you wondering whether a new show or mini-series is worth your time. That’s what this series is here to help you solve! In these pieces I’ll look at a new show, where to find it, what it’s about and some comparable options to help you decide whether to dive in or move on!

Series: Such Brave Girls

Where to Find It: All six episodes are now streaming on Hulu

What’s It About: This new comedy series makes its domestic debut on Hulu, with the entire first season available to stream as of December 15. The episodes run about a half hour, making it a quick binge for those looking for something to wrap up the year.

The series comes from Kat Sadler, who stars as Josie. She’s a young adult with some issues living at home with her mother Deb (Louise Brealey) and her sister Billie (Lizzie Davidson). Billie is a little boy crazy and clearly her mother’s favorite. Deb, a single mother, is also a little man crazy, trying her best to make a good impression Dev (Paul Bazely), a widower who offers the potential of a better life. Deb’s attempts to land Dev often come at the expense of her daughters, particularly Josie.

The comedy comes from the awkward family drama. There’s infighting among the sisters and between mother and daughters. It’s a slice of life about a group of women trying to make their way forward, often by stepping all over each other.

You Should Try It If: You’re a fan of British style comedies filled with uncomfortable, but relatable situations.

One Man’s Opinion of Such Brave Girls

British comedies can be an acquired taste. This style of series relies heavily on uncomfortable and cringe-worthy moments and situations. If that’s the type of series that appeals to you, you’ll feel right at home. If those types of scenes tend to leave you more tied up in knots than rolling on the floor, this might not be your jam.

Sadler has a decent screen presence but has created a bit of a mess in Josie. Some of the best sequences, for me, were her interactions with Davidson, who is her actual sister. You can tell they have good chemistry, which helps smooth over some of the more difficult sequences.

Ultimately with a show like this is comes down to your interest in the characters and the world. Some of this appealed to me a lot in the two episodes I sampled, but a lot of it felt uncomfortable in the wrong way. Again, it comes down to personal preference. But this does offer a quick binge that might be an escape from some of those awkward family moments of your own during this holiday season.

Next. Should I Try It: The Buccaneers. Should I Try It: The Buccaneers. dark