Princess Catherine brings added excitement to Trooping the Colour

In the midst of cancer treatment, the Princess of Wales attends her first public function in months
Trooping The Colour 2024
Trooping The Colour 2024 / Chris Jackson/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

Trooping the Colour is a major event for the Royal Family, as it is part of the celebration of the monarch's birthday. This year is King Charles III's second such birthday celebration and while there were many things to enjoy during the parade on June 17, the appearance of Catherine, Princess of Wales, was certainly a highlight. Dressed in an upcycled Jenny Packham dress that she originally debuted in 2023 and a new Philip Treacy OC 155 hat, her white and black ensemble mirrored the dark dress and white trim of daughter Princess Charlotte. Prince William appeared in dress uniform, while sons Prince George and Prince Louis wore matching blue suits with lighter blue ties.

In early June, Princess Catherine's letter to the Irish Guards ahead of the Colonel's Review was publicized by the regiment of which she is the Colonel. While undergoing preventative chemotherapy for cancer, she has been unable to attend some public events and she apologized for one such absence:

"Being your colonel remains a great honor and I am very sorry that I'm unable to take the salute at this year's Colonel's Review. Please pass my apologies to the whole regiment, however I do hope that I am able to represent you all once again very soon."

Princess Catherine

At the time of its publication, Catherine's presence at the Trooping the Colour was not certain, but she did have this to say in a statement on Instagram on the eve of the event.

"I’m looking forward to attending The King’s Birthday Parade this weekend with my family and hope to join a few public engagements over the summer, but equally knowing I am not out of the woods yet."

Princess Catherine

While she is understandably giving herself the time needed for rest and recuperation, it was good to see her enjoying this weekend's events. Whether waving cheerfully to the crowds or fussing affectionately over her daughter before the festivities started, Princess Catherine seemed to be in good spirits both as a public figure and a woman doing her best to get through a difficult time.

She hopes to attend more events this summer and we wish her the best in her continued treatments.

Next. Prince Louis remains a scene stealer in latest Trooping the Colour moment. Prince Louis remains a scene stealer in latest Trooping the Colour moment. dark