Previewing 6 summer movies we can’t wait for in 2024

Six films to get hyped for during the Summer of 2024
(L-R): Hugh Jackman as Wolverine/Logan and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool/Wade Wilson in 20th Century Studios/Marvel Studios' DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE. Photo by Jay Maidment. © 2024 20th Century Studios / © and ™ 2024 MARVEL.
(L-R): Hugh Jackman as Wolverine/Logan and Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool/Wade Wilson in 20th Century Studios/Marvel Studios' DEADPOOL & WOLVERINE. Photo by Jay Maidment. © 2024 20th Century Studios / © and ™ 2024 MARVEL. /
facebooktwitterreddit

It’s the second week in June, meaning we’re in full on summer mode. Summer is a blast for a lot of reasons. The days are longer, we get some breaks, the sun is out, and, at the theater, we’re squarely in the midst of blockbuster season. If you enjoy a good blockbuster and are seeking an escape from the summer heat, this list is for you!

Below are six movies we’re hyped to see over the next three months. The films appear in release date order. Start making your summer movie plans now!

The Bikeriders (June 21)
About: This film made the rounds toward the end of 2023, and it looked like it might be part of last year’s Oscar conversations. Instead, it was held for a summer release in 2024, and looks to dominate this part of the year. The film features Austin Butler, Tom Hardy, and Jodie Comer in a film based on a true story. It earned plenty of praise at festivals in 2023 and figures to be one of the biggest releases of 2024 so far!

A Quiet Place: Day One (June 28)
About: This is the third film in the franchise, but the first to break away from the main family led by Emily Blunt. In this prequel, the action shifts to New York as we see what happened when the creatures first arrived to change our world forever. The cast is led by Lupita Nyong’o, Djimon Hounsou, and Joseph Quinn, and it looks to be full of action and more than a few scares. If you liked the first two, this is definitely for you!

Twisters (July 19)
About: It’s been 28 years since Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt battled nature in a film from writer Michael Crichton. Now, we’re diving back into the world of storm chasing. This one comes from director Lee Isaac Chung and features a cast led by Glen Powell and Daisy Edgar Jones. The action looks great in the trailers and this one is sure to be a high-adrenaline rush at the theaters.

Deadpool & Wolverine (July 26)
About: No summer is complete without a big budget Marvel film, and in 2024 this is our one and only film that fits that mold. This returns Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool and Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, pairing them as the leads for the first time in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Expect plenty of cameos and other new characters, like the one played by former Crown star Emma Corrin! This should be one of the best rides of summer.

Cuckoo (August 2)
About: It’s fair to say 2024 has been a big year for Dan Stevens. In the Spring, he appeared as a lead in the latest Godzilla film and then again in the horror film Abigail. He’s back in another spooky tale here, this one with another unsettling trailer and set up. This should be a delight for horror fans, or at least fans of seeing Stevens dominate our screens!

Alien: Romulus (August 16)
About: Speaking of horror, the Alien franchise gets a new installment—this one directed by Fede Alvarez, who directed the re-boot of Evil Dead. This one is led by Cailee Spaney and David Jonsson, who we last saw warming our hearts in Rye Lane in 2023. Doubtless this will be another high-octane thriller during a season that is season its fair share of spooky and edgy tales.

Next. Five Features with Guy Ritchie. Five Features with Guy Ritchie. dark