Paul Merson responds to Strictly Come Dancing fans who claimed he doesn't want to be there

Tottenham Hotspur FC v Arsenal FC - Premier League
Tottenham Hotspur FC v Arsenal FC - Premier League / James Gill - Danehouse/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

Paul Merson is not having it with fans of BBC's Strictly Come Dancing, and their comments about his first week on the series. It seems that there were some viewers who were questioning Merson over wanting to be on the program. And now the former professional footballer is responding to these comments.

GBN reports that when speaking to Claudia Winkelman about his dance with Karen Hauer, his professional dance partner, viewers took to X (formerly Twitter) to say that they didn't think that Paul Merson looked happy to be part of Strictly Come Dancing. As one viewer noted on X, "Does Paul actually want to be there? Two weeks in a row he's looked bored out of his nut and really not wanting to be there."

So what exactly did Merson say in response to the viewers doubting him and his desire to be on the competition series? After his latest performance, he was once again chatting with Winkelman who asked him if he was enjoying being partnered with Hauer and dancing for the crowd. His response was perfect:

"I love it. It's not community service, is it? I don't have to do it, I want to do it. I want to do it."

Paul Merson

Paul Merson admits that he wants to be on Strictly Come Dancing

While Merson may not be doing the best in terms of the dances, he received a 17 from the judges last week and 15 for the latest performance, it sounds like he is actually enjoying trying something new. And that is what really matters.

Even if the judges did think his professional partner was dancing around him or that his feet looked like they were "glued to the floor," it sounds like Paul Merson is here for the experience. Now here's hoping he is able to improve on his technique and maybe his scores as well.

What do you think of Paul Merson responding to the idea that he doesn't want to be on Strictly Come Dancing? Are you surprised that he actually made it clear that he loves it?

Hell’s Kitchen is back and Gordon Ramsay is trying something different in Season 23. Hell’s Kitchen is back and Gordon Ramsay is trying something different in Season 23. dark. Next