Nicola Coughlan found empowerment in Bridgerton nude scene

Bridgerton. Nicola Coughlan as Penelope Featherington in episode 301 of Bridgerton. Cr. Liam Daniel/Netflix © 2024
Bridgerton. Nicola Coughlan as Penelope Featherington in episode 301 of Bridgerton. Cr. Liam Daniel/Netflix © 2024 /
facebooktwitterreddit

If there is one thing we can count on when it comes to a woman in the public eye, it is that people are going to comment on her body. It doesn't matter who it is, an actress, someone on social media, or even a politician, there always seems to be those individuals who feel like they have the right to shame others or make unnecessary comments about someone. And unfortunately for Nicola Coughlan, she has definitely been on the receiving end of plenty of body-shaming comments.

As the focal point of Season 3 of Bridgerton, it is time for Nicola's character, Penelope, to have her love story told. And while we are excited for her story, it also means that we are once again seeing comments popping up about her body.

But while there may be haters out there, Nicola Coughlan is not letting them win. In fact, she decided to take matters into her own hands. So how did she do that? By deciding that she wanted to be naked on camera.

Nicola Coughlan found empowerment in being naked for a Bridgerton Season 3 scene

According to Glamour Magazine, in a number of different interviews ahead of the Bridgerton Season 3 premiere on Netflix, Coughlan opened up about her part in getting the nude scene done and why she did it. Apparently, the actress worked with the intimacy coordinator to advocate for Penelope's sex life to be shown in a way that was empowering for herself.

"I specifically asked for certain lines and moments to be included. I felt beautiful in the moment, and I thought: ‘When I’m 80, I want to look back on this and remember how f-cking hot I looked!'"

Nicola Coughlan

Honestly, we love this for Nicola. Not only do we appreciate the fact that she advocated for herself in these moments, but also that she made the decision to find empowerment in being naked on screen.

Nicola Coughlan has repeatedly shared that she does not want there to be a conversation around her body. But of course, the internet has no problem ignoring what others want. And considering she is not a plus size lady, it makes sense that she doesn't want the conversation to revolve around her and her size.

However, in terms of the naked scene in Bridgerton, this was a chance to potentially shut down the conversation once and for all.

"There’s one scene where I’m very naked on camera, and that was my idea, my choice. It just felt like the biggest ‘f-ck you’ to all the conversation surrounding my body; it was amazingly empowering."

Nicola Coughlan

Will people stop talking about Nicola and her body now? Sadly, we doubt it. But we love that she decided to make a stand for herself. And she did it in a way that she can look back on and feel proud of.

We can't wait to see how Nicola Coughlan embraced her own power and gave Penelope her love story in Season 3 of Bridgerton. And of course, we really hope that we can finally stop talking about Nicola's body and maybe move on to really focusing on her talent.

Next. Luke Newton on how his costume for Bridgerton Season 3 gave him an early sense of how his story has evolved. Luke Newton on how his costume for Bridgerton Season 3 gave him an early sense of how his story has evolved. dark