'Lee' is a stirring portrait of grit and determination

Biopic follows photographer Lee Miller to the battlefront in World War II
History Talks 2024 Red Carpet
History Talks 2024 Red Carpet / Jesse Grant/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

Some people have a gift that they can’t deny, even if it’s difficult. That was the case for Lee Miller, a gifted photographer who had a passion for capturing images at the front during World War II. As a woman, it wasn’t easy to get that access, but she persevered. The photos she took have left a legacy that continues to move people even decades after her death.

A new film seeks to explore that period of her life and career. The film Lee, directed by Ellen Kuras, picks up in 1977 as an older Lee (Kate Winslet) is reflecting on her life and work to a young journalist (Josh O’Connor). She takes the story back to 1938, prior to the war, when she was a former model seeking to break into photography.

Lee began an affair with artist Roland Penrose (Alexander Skarsgard) which carried her back to London. There, she began taking photos for Vogue, working with Audrey Withers (Andrea Riseborough). She begins taking pictures at home during the Blitz, but soon finds a way to head to the front.

There, Lee teamed with fellow photographer David Scherman (Andy Samberg) to capture the images at the front. They captured the fallout from battle, but the larger human toll. As the war moves further into Germany, the images they capture of the devastation and violence leave a lasting legacy, telling the story of the true horrors of Hitler’s reign.

We’ve seen a lot of stories about World War II, and yet we continue to see interesting ways of depicting the events and stories of courage in the face of horror. That’s the case with this film, as we experience the rigors and horrors of war through the lens of Miller and Scherman. It’s often moving and engaging.

In the film, Winslet delivers a great performance. The supporting cast is strong as well, with Samberg doing a nice job in a different kind of role. I also enjoyed the contemporary back-and-forth with O’Connor, who has some great scenes near the end of the film.

Miller was a talented photographer whose work endures. This film pays homage to her courage, her life, and her career. It’s engaging and worth seeking out.

Lee opens in theaters Friday, September 27

Next. Fight for justice in 'Rebel Ridge'. Fight for justice in 'Rebel Ridge'. dark