Five series not to miss from the first half of 2024!

A look at the best of the first half of 2024
“THE BEAR” — “Forever” — Season 3, Episode 10 (Airs Thursday, June 27th) — Pictured: Jeremy Allen White as Carmen “Carmy” Berzatto. CR: FX.
“THE BEAR” — “Forever” — Season 3, Episode 10 (Airs Thursday, June 27th) — Pictured: Jeremy Allen White as Carmen “Carmy” Berzatto. CR: FX. /
facebooktwitterreddit

We’ve made it to July. Temperatures are soaring, summer is in full swing, and half the year is already gone. Did you make the most of the first six months? Did you catch the best of TV? If you’re not sure, I’m here to offer some recommendations! Below are five seasons to check out that have been the best of 2024 so far! Selections appear in ascending order.

No. 5: Ripley, Netflix
About: This adaptation of the Patricia Highsmith novel comes from writer/director Steve Zaillian, who handled all eight episodes of the season. The part of Tom Ripley is played by Andrew Scott, who delivers a stirring performance. The series also stands out as it’s shot entirely in black-and-white, creating a beautiful and unique visual palette. I loved the performances and the pensive way the story is laid out, building tension throughout the eight-episode season. It does a nice job of adapting the novel in a new way and makes for a quick binge.

No. 4: Fallout, Prime Video
About: How do you adapt a popular series of dystopic games? That was the challenge before the team that gave us Fallout and man did, they succeed. This is another eight-episode season, all of them hovering around an hour. It has an outstanding cast, led by Ella Purnell and Walton Goggins. The series is produced by Jonathan Nolan, who directed the first three episodes as well, and his wife, Lisa Joy. The series is written by Graham Wagner and Geneva Robertson-Dworet. What stood out to me was the quality of the dialogue and the storytelling, creating characters, building worlds, and offering some humor. The episodes moved at a great pace, had some epic scenery and set the stage for a possibly expanded second season. This is worth seeking out.

No. 3: Mr. Bates vs. The Post Office, PBS
About: This series aired in England on the BBC and came to American via PBS. It features Toby Jones and a loaded cast in a true-life story of local sub-postmasters who were defrauded by the Post Office, and their fight for justice. It’s a four-part series with each episode about an hour. I devoured it, watching the whole thing in a night as I simply couldn’t pause until I found out what was going to happen. This isn’t a story many of us in America are familiar with, but it’s incredibly fascinating to watch these every day citizens fight the machine of government for justice and to restore their good name.

No. 2: Shogun, Hulu
About: This might have been THE epic series of the first half of the year. It’s a large-scale adaptation of the novel from James Clavell. It takes the action back to feudal Japan as lords battle for power while an English sailor (Cosmo Jarvis) takes it all in. The way the story was told was richly dramatic and emotional here. I also greatly enjoyed the period setting and the care taken to create a period-specific look and world. Some of the episodes here were epic in scope, helping to bring this powerful and timeless story to life.

No. 1: The Bear, Season 3
About: TV’s best show returned on June 26, just under the wire to make the list. The third season follows the opening of the restaurant, The Bear, and finds our familiar characters Carmy (Jeremy Allen White), Syd (Ayo Edibri), and Ritchie (Ebon Moss-Bachrach) still struggling with their issues while taking on this new challenge. The opening episode, “Tomorrow,” is the pinnacle of filmmaking on the small screen, the best thing I’ve seen on TV this year. The show also has a loaded supporting cast—including Olivia Coleman and Will Poulter—who appear throughout the 10-episode third season. This is one not to miss.

Next. Should You Try It: My Lady Jane. Should You Try It: My Lady Jane. dark