Five Features from Guy Ritchie that you need to watch at least once

For those awaiting his new film, here's five previous films from Guy Ritchie
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare /
facebooktwitterreddit

On April 19 the new film The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare opens in theaters. The latest film from Guy Ritchie stars Henry Cavil in the lead role. If you’re excited about this new film, like me, you might be looking to watch some of Ritchie’s previous films. Below are five previous features from Ritchie to watch while you wait! Features appear in chronological order.

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
About: This was probably the feature that first put Ritchie on the map. It’s a good old fashioned crime film with a cast that features Jason Statham, Jason Flemyng, and Vinnie Jones, among others. The dialogue is fun, and the action is fast paced, which is something fans have come to expect from Ritchie. You can find this for rent on Prime Video.

Sherlock Holmes (2009)
About: After doing a few of his own, original films, Ritchie got into the franchise business. In this film, and a sequel, he tackled one of the most famous detectives in history with Holmes, here played by Robert Downey, Jr. Of course, he put his own, unique spin on it, too. The cast is strong, featuring Jude Law and Rachel McAdams, among others. I enjoyed this ride and its sequel. You can rent it on Prime Video as well.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. (2015)
About: The new film isn’t the first time Cavill and Ritchie have teamed up. Previously, they tackled the big screen re-make of this classic IP. I like the period setting and the action here. Likely this was meant to kick off a franchise that didn’t happen, but it should whet your whistle for what’s to come in their new film. It’s also available on Prime Video.

Aladdin (2019)
About: Ritchie doesn’t just do big action films. In this one, he tackles another famous IP, doing a live action re-make of the classic Disney animated film. In this case, we get Will Smith as the Genie. I really enjoyed this adaptation, the use of color, and the big musical numbers. This isn’t likely what you typically expect from Ritchie, but it’s a lot of fun. You can find it on Prime Video, too!

The Covenant (2023)
About: This is an action film, but a different kind than others on this list. This one tells the story of a soldier (Jake Gyllenhaal) who returns to a war zone to help find and rescue the interpreter (Dar Salim) who saved his life. It’s a powerful and emotional tale, an under-rated gem from last year. It’s now available to stream on Prime Video.

Next. Five Features with Dan Stevens. Five Features with Dan Stevens. dark