Episode 2 of Great British Bake Off saw plenty of drama as one baker quit and another fell

The Great British Baking Show: Collection 12. Image courtesy Mark Bourdillon
The Great British Baking Show: Collection 12. Image courtesy Mark Bourdillon /
facebooktwitterreddit

Season 15 of the Great British Bake Off (known as the Great British Baking Show in the U.S.) is underway. And while we are only two episodes into the new series, things have quickly fallen apart for the bakers.

In fact, the show quickly lost a baker in episode 2 as Jeff, who was ill in the first episode, decided to quit the competition because he was still feeling unwell during week two. According to The Independent, Jeff went to the hosts and said "I'm done," because he simply didn't feel well enough to keep pushing through.

And that makes sense, as baking in the tent is already a challenging experience for the bakers. So having to bake while ill would be overwhelming.

One baker quits and two more fall in week two of GBBO

However, the drama didn't stop there as GBBO actually had a baker feel faint and need help from medical. Illiyin, who did well in the first week, explained that she was feeling "dizzy" which resulted in her being helped to the ground where she was then placed in what is known as the "recovery position."

Although things were clearly serious as Illiyin had to be guided away by the medics, unable to finish her bake, she did take the time to make a bit of a joke with everyone. "Handshakes the first episode, fainting the second." Now we just have to hope that everything is okay and that she will back for week three with no problems.

There was one more fall that really kept the drama going, as Dylan actually fell out of his chair. With so much already happening in the tent, it was clear that people were worried for his health and safety as well. But it turns out that this fall was much more innocent as it seems that he was reaching for his water and simply wasn't able to grab it.

With so much drama in the tent, it likely comes as no surprise that viewers at home were left with plenty to say about what went down in week two. In fact, some were very concerned about everyone's health and safety, with people pointing out that usually GBBO is a comfort watch, but this week felt like anything but "a feel good show."

As we move into week three, we really hope that everyone is okay and can keep moving forward in the competition. And here's hoping that Jeff is not only feeling better, but maybe gets a chance to return to the tent in the future.

Are you surprised by what has happened in the first two weeks of GBBO's 15th season? Do you think this is a sign of problems with the series?

Strictly Come Dancing's Nick Knowles admits that you never feel "safe" in the competition. Strictly Come Dancing's Nick Knowles admits that you never feel "safe" in the competition. dark. Next