Best of 2023: The Diplomat

Looking for a series with plenty of intrigue? The Diplomat on Netflix sees Keri Russell as the U.S. ambassador to the United Kingdom.
Keri Russell and Rufus Sewell star in The Diplomat.
Keri Russell and Rufus Sewell star in The Diplomat. /
facebooktwitterreddit

We’re coming to the end of another year which gives us a moment to stop and reflect on what we’ve seen. This week, I’ll be sharing some of my favorite shows and movies of 2023 that you can check out as you have free time to end the year.

Selection: The Diplomat

Where to Find It: All 10 episodes of The Diplomat are available to stream on Netflix.

What It’s About: Kate Wyler (Keri Russell) is a career civil servant, working mostly as an operative for the CIA. She’s used to working in difficult situations, managing intelligence, and getting the job done. She’s also married to an infamous diplomat (Rufus Sewell) who has his fans and his enemies.

Kate is ready for a nice, easy diplomatic assignment. Instead, she’s named ambassador to the United Kingdom. It’s a massive post and a massive shift for Kate, who is in the dark as to why she’s been tapped for this post. At least at the beginning.

Soon, it becomes clear why Kate was sent to the United Kingdom. There, she has to navigate some sticky situations, a rocky marriage and political intrigue to keep the United States, and herself, out of hot water.

Why I Loved The Diplomat

The set up here is great. So, too, is the casting. Russell has long been a talented performer, and I loved her work on The Americans. I was excited to see her cast in this series, and she doesn’t disappoint. The way she owns the scenes and carries the narrative here is great.

There are a lot of twists to the narrative here, too. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone checking out the series, but I loved the way the story builds. Episodes often end on a cliffhanger, and you’ll quickly want to keep your binge going. The rest of the cast is solid here, too. I enjoyed Sewell as her estranged and difficult husband in this series.

The Diplomat was an early release in 2023 and one that might have slipped under-the-radar. But I loved what the series brought, and I think it’s worth seeking out for those who might have missed the show on its original airing. The 10 episodes move at a crisp pace, making for a quick and easy binge.

Best of 2023: Welcome to Wrexham. dark. Next. Best of 2023: Welcome to Wrexham