Best of 2023: Ted Lasso

The heart-warming tale of an American coaching a soccer club wrapped up with its third and final season in 2023.
Jeremy Swift, Brett Goldstein, Jason Sudeikis, Brendan Hunt and Nick Mohammed in “Ted Lasso," now streaming on Apple TV+
Jeremy Swift, Brett Goldstein, Jason Sudeikis, Brendan Hunt and Nick Mohammed in “Ted Lasso," now streaming on Apple TV+ /
facebooktwitterreddit

We’re coming to the end of another year which gives us a moment to stop and reflect on what we’ve seen. This week, I’ll be sharing some of my favorite shows and movies of 2023 that you can check out as you have free time to end the year.

Selection: Ted Lasso, Season 3

Where to Find It: All three seasons of the show are now streaming on Apple TV+

What It’s About: This series on Apple TV+ has become a classic and one of the most well-reviewed on Apple TV+. It’s also the reigning Emmy winner for comedy. It returned for a third and final season this year on Apple TV+. We pick up where we left off, with AFC Richmond promoted and trying to win a championship.

Meanwhile, Nate (Nick Mohammed) is coaching for Rupert (Anthony Head) and a rival squad after leaving Richmond following a public spat with Ted (Jason Sudeikis). Ted, meanwhile, is thinking about his family in American and spending plenty of time pondering his future.

This third season sets up the epic battle between Richmond and Nate, while Rebecca (Hannah Waddingham) is focused on beating Rupert. Roy (Brett Goldstein) and Keeley (Juno Temple) are meanwhile each focused on their career and what the future might hold.

Why I Love Ted Lasso

A show about an American college football coach who travels to England to coach a soccer team. It’s a premise that sounds like an awful joke. When I first tried the show, I wasn’t sure what to make of it and I didn’t have high hopes. But from the first episode, I fell in love. Sudeikis is a marvel as Ted, and the rest of the show and cast is also brilliant. I’ve loved all the seasons, and that includes this third and final season.

Is this really the end? It’s hard to say. It was billed at the final season, and I think it will be the final story built around Ted Lasso the character. We get a somewhat definitive ending for Ted, and it feels right for his story. But if the world continues with the rest, I’d be down to continue the journey, too.

Not everyone loved this final season. It felt a bit different than the early seasons, but that’s because these characters have evolved. There were some times where things felt a bit rushed, but I enjoyed how it all came together. The penultimate episode, “Mom City,” is one of my favorite episodes of the series. There were laughs and tears, and in the end, we got a beautiful finale for Ted’s journey. This was my favorite show this last year with a beautiful and poignant final season that’s worth checking out.

Next. Best of 2023: Welcome to Wrexham. Best of 2023: Welcome to Wrexham. dark