A silver medal and a royal accolade come as the 2024 Paralympics end

ParalympicsGB has one final victory
Para Athletics - Paris 2024 Summer Paralympic Games: Day 10
Para Athletics - Paris 2024 Summer Paralympic Games: Day 10 / Ezra Shaw/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

It's been a thrilling athletic run in Paris this summer. The Paris 2024 Olympics were full of firsts and lasts, career highs and records broken. And then ParalympicsGB paraded down the Champs Elysees and began a truly unforgettable effort in the Paralympics. 124 medals hung around the necks of Athletes from Team Great Britain and 49 of them were gold, beating out their record in Tokyo by eight.

One last thrill

The final field event for the team in Paris 2024 was shot put and all eyes were on Welshman Aled Davies. He came into the Games as the F42 world record holder. In May 2024, he threw 15.60m and he was the leader for his event with 15.10 in the third round. In the fourth round, Kuwait's Faisal Sorour threw just .20m further and won gold with a distance of 15.30m.

According to the BBC, Davies was "gutted" as he says that he wasn't at his best:

"What hurts is underperforming and that was it - I wasn't the better man...I hope I haven't let anyone down because I've worked so hard and there's been so many obstacles, like everyone...There's no excuses, but I'll be back."

Aled Davies

On the other hand, he says, "No-one's near my world record." He also said of the competition at the Stade de France, "If I take my perspective out of it, it's incredible."

A Royal response

Team Great Britain's most recognizable fans certainly don't think that anyone has been let down. In a statement on the Royal Family's official website, Their Majesties had nothing but praise for the Paralympic athletes who have been representing Team Great Britain.

In addition to the commendation for the "numerous successes at this year's Games," King Charles III continued in a wonderfully personal vein:

"Behind every medal won lies a wonderful story of courage commitment and true talent, matched by a determination that has taken you to the very top, We rejoice in your victories, while saluting and celebrating all those who have taken part, as well as thanking the support teams who play such a special part in your achievements. Your example has succeeded in inspiring, encouraging and lifting the hearts of all. Charles R"

King Charles III

All of ParalympicsGB fans can agree with this. We have been privileged to watch the accomplishments of the Paralympians this year and look forward to what comes next.

Next. ParalympicsGB continues to have medal-winning fun on second Friday in France. ParalympicsGB continues to have medal-winning fun on second Friday in France. dark