A fight for justice in ‘Rebel Ridge’

New film 'Rebel Ridge' now streaming on Netflix
Rebel Ridge. (L-R) Don Johnson as Chief Sandy Burnne and Aaron Pierre as Terry Richmond in Rebel Ridge. Cr. Allyson Riggs/Netflix © 2024.
Rebel Ridge. (L-R) Don Johnson as Chief Sandy Burnne and Aaron Pierre as Terry Richmond in Rebel Ridge. Cr. Allyson Riggs/Netflix © 2024. /
facebooktwitterreddit

We count on our structures and institutions to act fairly, but what happens when that’s not the case? How can we respond? What lengths would you go to for justice? Those are questions posed in the latest Netflix film, Rebel Ridge, which is now streaming.

The film from writer/director Jeremy Saulnier opens with Terry Richmond (Aaron Pierre) riding his bike down a highway. He’s heading to a small town to bail out his cousin. It’s a quest of some importance. He’s run off the road by a pair of officers (David Denman and Emory Cohen). They question him and search his bag, finding the cash he’d set aside for his mission.

The officers seize the money despite Terry’s pleas. They leave him alone and bleeding. He heads to the courthouse but he’s late and lacking funds. There, he finds a sympathetic ear in a young clerk (Annasophia Robb) who knows all too well what justice means in this town. She gives Terry advice, but he tries it his own way.

The following day Terry heads to the police station and tries to make a report but discovers the Police Chief (Don Johnson) is a less than sympathetic ear. Running out of options and desperate to save his cousin and end the corruption, Terry turns to his training and takes action to rid the town of its oppressors.

There is a quiet strength to Terry, which is a credit to Pierre. He inhabits the role beautifully and gives a physical and imposing performance that is never loud or showy. It fits seamlessly in the world of the film built by Saulnier.

The story and the construction of the world is solid, too. I like the deft hand that Saulnier uses to bring this story to life. I enjoyed the ride and the narrative, with some good action set pieces as well.

For those looking for a solid and engaging drama, this is a great option to stream on Netflix.

Should You Try It: A Good Girls Guide to Murder. Should You Try It: A Good Girls Guide to Murder. dark. Next