7 of the best pictures from King Charles' first Trooping the Colour

Trooping The Colour 2023
Trooping The Colour 2023 / Samir Hussein/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

On June 16, 2023, King Charles took part in his very first Trooping the Colour as king, and in doing so not only brought back a tradition that has not been seen since the mid-1980s, but also gave us plenty of images that made a statement. From seeing the King on horseback as part of the official parade, to the fly over forming a CR in the sky, there were some very special moments that happened at this year's celebration.

We decided to round up some of our favorite images from this year's Trooping the Colour, and you may not be surprised by what we chose. Not only are there shots of the King, but of course members of the Wales family also stood out during the event.

So what were some of our favorite images from the very first Trooping the Colour of King Charles' reign?

7 of the best images from King Charles' first Trooping the Colour

Royal Air Force (RAF) planes form the letters 'CR' (Charles...
Royal Air Force (RAF) planes form the letters 'CR' (Charles... / SOPA Images/GettyImages

The Royal Air Force made a statement of their own in the sky. And they definitely brought a sense of awe to the occasion by creating the letters CR for Charles Rex (Rex is the Latin word for King) in the sky as part of their fly over.

Prince George of Wales, Prince Louis of Wales, Catherine, Princess of Wales, Princess Charlotte of Wales, Prince William, Prince of Wales
Trooping The Colour 2023 / Karwai Tang/GettyImages

Some of the best moments of Trooping the Colour have to revolve around the facial expressions of children. And of course, the Wales children definitely make some of the best faces. Honestly, Prince Louis knows how to be a scene stealer and he definitely stole the show with this look! Clearly he was having a good time and we love to see it.

Prince George of Wales, Prince Louis of Wales, Catherine, Princess of Wales, Princess Charlotte of Wales, Prince William, Prince of Wales, King Charles III, Queen Camilla, Prince Edward, Duke of Edinburgh, Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh
Trooping The Colour 2023 / Karwai Tang/GettyImages

Getting to see senior working royals on the balcony is always an interesting part of any occasion. And thanks to Trooping the Colour, we are getting another look at exactly who is part of the inner circle and working alongside the King.

Prince William of Wales, Charles III of the United Kingdom, Princess Anne - Princess Royal
Trooping The Colour 2023 / Max Mumby/Indigo/GettyImages

It was truly a sight to behold as King Charles was joined on horseback by his sister (Princess Anne), brother (Prince Edward), and son (Prince William) for the parade. We love seeing the Princess Royal at her brothers' side and this was definitely a brilliant moment for the senior royals. Plus, if you are anything like us, there was even a moment where it almost looked like Prince Phillip was back with us, as the King definitely looked a lot like his father in some of the images.

Birgitte, Duchess of Gloucester, Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, Sophie, Duchess of Edinburgh, Timothy Laurence, Prince Edward, Duke of Kent
Trooping The Colour 2023 / Chris Jackson/GettyImages

We loved seeing other important members of the royal family taking part in the event. And while they may not have been on the "main balcony," it is clear that they were part of the celebration in their own way and were visible for the crowds to see. With both the Duchess of Edinburgh and Sir Timothy Laurence present in this image, you already know that we are at least paying attention to these members of the royal family.

Trooping the Colour King's Birthday Parade in London
Trooping the Colour King's Birthday Parade in London / Anadolu Agency/GettyImages

The people were out in full force for the 2023 Trooping the Colour, with the crowds gathered to celebrate the King's birthday (although his actual day of birth is in November). There is something about seeing the large crowds gathered to celebrate that just makes a statement.

Trooping the Colour King's Birthday Parade in London
Trooping the Colour King's Birthday Parade in London / Anadolu Agency/GettyImages

For Trooping the Colour, we got to see Queen Camilla, Princess Catherine, and the three Wales children riding together as part of the parade. It was a chance to see the family together at work and of course it gave us plenty of great imagery too. This was also a great opportunity to really see the pop of green of the princess' dress and hat, as well as the queen's brilliant red dress inspired by the uniform of the Grenadier Guards.

There are so many images to choose from when it comes to major royal events, and that was especially true for this year's Trooping the Colour. And while we narrowed it down to these seven, there were plenty of others that we appreciated as well.

What were some of your favorite moments from the King's birthday parade?

How is King Charles proving to be a different monarch from Queen Elizabeth?. How is King Charles proving to be a different monarch from Queen Elizabeth?. dark. Next