5 of the best films from the first half of 2024

Five hits from early 2024 to catch up with on Streaming
(L-r) TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET as Paul Atreides and REBECCA FERGUSON as Lady Jessica Atreides in Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ action adventure “DUNE,” a Warner Bros. Pictures release. Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, Chiabella James
(L-r) TIMOTHÉE CHALAMET as Paul Atreides and REBECCA FERGUSON as Lady Jessica Atreides in Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures’ action adventure “DUNE,” a Warner Bros. Pictures release. Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, Chiabella James /
facebooktwitterreddit

We’re into July. The days are hot and you might be looking for a reprieve from the heat on your couch. We’re also halfway through the year, making it a great time to catch up on films you might have missed that you can now watch or stream at home. Below are five favorites from the first half of 2024 that are now available to stream!

No. 5: The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Where to Find It: Available on VOD
About: This film comes from director Guy Ritchie. Henry Cavill takes the lead in a story of a secret unit dispatched by Winston Churchill that helped turn the tide of World War II. This one had great action, a stellar cast, some stunning visuals, and a really fun pace. For fans of Ritchie and his old-school action films, this will be a welcome addition to his lineup. I had a lot of fun with this and it’s worth seeking out on VOD.

No. 4: Abigail
Where to Find It: Available on VOD
About: This is a vampire film that comes from the team that gave us the last two Scream films. This film features a group of criminals recruited for a job. It turns out, they are really meant to be the prey for a young girl who is really an age-old vampire (Alisha Weir). It’s got a stellar cast, led by Dan Stevens and Melissa Barrera. I liked the dialogue, the action, and the blend of horror and humor in the film. This is a fun one for horror fans.

No. 3: Challengers
Where to Find It: Available on VOD
About: This film, from writer/director Luca Guadagnino, focuses on three tennis players, and their interconnected relationship over the course of years. Zendaya, Mike Faist, and Josh O’Connor lead the cast in this stirring relationship drama. The film does a great job of telling a non-linear story while building tension using a game within the film. I enjoyed the soundtrack, the cinematography, and the smoldering performances. This is one of the best films of the year.

No. 2: Civil War
Where to Find It: Available on VOD
About: This film is about an America torn apart by ideological division that has devolved into civil war. That’s a fascinating subject for a film in 2024, and this one hits hard. It feels even more timely in the present moment. It comes from Alex Garland, the English filmmaker and novelist who gave us Ex Machina and Annihilation. The film follows journalists embedded on the front lines and features excellent performances from Kirsten Dunst and Cailee Spaeny. It’s one of my favorite films of the year so far.

No. 1: Dune, Part Two
Where to Find It: Available on VOD and Streaming on Max
About: There has been no film in 2024 that’s been better than Dune, Part Two, the second film in the franchise from director Denis Villeneuve. This continues the story of Paul Atreides and his battle for the planet. It features a great performance from Timothee Chalamet, Zendaya, and Rebecca Ferguson, among others. This film is a visual spectacle that feels epic and delivers a riveting story. It’s the film to beat so far in 2024.

dark. Next. Should You Try It: My Lady Jane. Should You Try It: My Lady Jane