3 British Detective shows to watch on PBS right now

Kate Phillips attends the Miss Scarlet and the Duke World...
Kate Phillips attends the Miss Scarlet and the Duke World... / SOPA Images/GettyImages
facebooktwitterreddit

When it comes to finding something to watch on TV there are a lot of options to choose from. And if you are a fan of British TV, but you don't really want to subscribe to a ton of streaming services, did you know that PBS has plenty of great shows that you can watch right now?

As a fan of PBS programming, we love the fact that we can not only watch their shows on TV, but also on their app. It makes it easy to find new things to watch when we are in a viewing slump.

This summer, we are looking to watch more British Detective series. Luckily for us, PBS has us covered with a variety of shows that we can't resist (including the magic that is Downton Abbey, even if that isn't a detective show).

So what are we watching on PBS right now in the category of British Detective shows?

3 British Detective shows to watch on PBS

Miss Scarlet & The Duke

Miss Scarlet & The Duke is set in London in the Victorian era, and features a young woman named Eliza Scarlet, who ends up running her late father's detective agency. As an unmarried woman, there are a lot of challenges that come Eliza's way. But luckily for her, a man known as The Duke, who happens to be a Scotland Yard Detective Inspector sees something in her and they end up forming a partnership that is both surprising and beneficial for both of them.

Together, these two unlikely partners tackle the mysteries of the time that no one else has been able to solve. And with three seasons to watch, your binge watching needs will be met (at least for a little while).

Endeavour

Endeavour is wrapping up its ninth and final season right now, and is currently ranked as the number one drama series currently on PBS. Considering the series has earned high praise from critics for a while now, with the final season being lauded as "classy, poignant," this might just be the perfect time to cue this detective series up on your app.

The show follows Endeavour Morse through his early years as a detective (this is a spin-off series). We see how his senior partner and he come together to solve the cases that come their way and of course how their partnership grows over time. And over the course of the series, we get to see Morse go from a detective constable to a detective sargeant, all while seeing his brilliant mind in action.

Whether you go back to watch the other shows that led to Endeavour or not, we have definitely appreciated this series all on its own. (We just need to watch the last two seasons.)

Broadchurch

If you have never watched Broadchurch, now is definitely the time to change that. The series revolves around the community of Broadchurch, which is rocked when the body of an 11-year-old boy washes onto shore. Over the course of the first two seasons, much of the focus is on this one case, although an old case also gets brought up in the second season that haunts one of our detectives, Detective Inspector Alec Hardy (David Tennant). And the final season focuses on a new case, as well as the family of the young boy who died, trying to move on with their lives.

The brilliance of the series is not only about the story being told, but also the stars who help tell the stories. Not only do we have Tennant, as an out of town detective given the lead role in the case, but also the in-town detective, played by Olivia Coleman, who believes she should have been in charge of the investigation. Together, these two actors are brilliant and believable in their parts, working well together as detectives trying to bring justice to a young boy and his family.

Honestly, if you haven't watched Broadchurch yet, what are you waiting for? And if you want to enjoy some brilliant detective shows, all three options are worth binge watching right now!

How to watch The Great Pottery Showdown in the U.S.. dark. Next. How to watch The Great Pottery Showdown in the U.S.